The big advantages of the IBM mainframe architecture have always been
application upward compatibility, I/O throughput, and RAS (reliability,
availability, and serviceability).

Application upgrade compatibility requires both hardware instruction set
upward compatibility and software system interface upward compatibility.
Intel has made some significant strides in recent years in terms of hardware
instruction set upward compatibility, but Microsoft's software system
interface upward compatibility is a joke.  Windows release boundaries have
been invariably disastrous, and service packs have been little better.

I/O throughput on z System z processor complex is second to zone.  No PC I/O
architecture can come close to the throughput exhibited by a small System z
processor complex.  A large System z processor complex is in a universe all
its own.

IBM RAS (reliability, availability, and serviceability), developed and
evolved over 45 years, is second to none, and RAS is what keeps businesses
in business.

For sheer number crunching, I might pick an IBM Power[n] box.  If I want to
go on the cheap, I might pick an Intel box.

For transactional processing involving vast databases, anything other than a
System z processor complex is irresponsible.

Give that staggering number of financial transactions processed on a daily
basis, over 90% of which is done on large-scale IBM mainframes, is it not
strange that you have never heard of a mainframe virus?  IBM RAS and IBM
Security (whether implemented via IBM RACF, CA ACF/2, CA-Top Secret
Security, or some other External Security manager (ESM)) is what keep these
systems running.

John P. Baker