On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:45:34 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
<pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:

>>>What about it?  If I needed to read it, it would be one-line awk script
>>>away.  Sort of my point.
>>
>> Can you reasonably expect it to last long after your death?
>
>I'm not quite sure whether you mean EBCDIC or the awk script; if EBCDIC
>yes, the awk script has never needed to be written, so unless I come
>across some reason to read some EBCDIC, no.

You were talking about Unicode and 7-bit ASCII lasting long after your
death.   I just extended this to ask your opinion about a more
on-topic coding system in ibm-main.

I wouldn't be surprised if IBM wouldn't be quite satisfied switching
away from MVS/EBCDIC.