In <0377b9a583fd0e4aacd676ee33ee994b2a9c1...@sdkmail13.emea.sas.com>, on
12/17/2009
   at 06:06 PM, Lindy Mayfield <lindy.mayfi...@ssf.sas.com> said:

>I've often heard that programs that ran on the IBM 360 will still run on
>a z/10.  Is this true?

Stand-alone S/360 programs will only run in S/370 mode, which hasn't been
available for a long time. I vaguely recall that the 3090 was the last
machine to support it, but it might have been the ES/9000 series.

As for programs that run under an OS, they will often run under a
successor OS, but there are some incompatibilities.

ASCII mode is probably a non-issue; I'm not aware of any OS that supported
it.

If your program depends on getting a program interrupt code 6 on an
alignment error, you will have problems.

If an OS/360 program depends on getting a system ABEND 0C5 for invalid
addresses, it will have problems. Similarly if assumes that only
protection violations will cause an 0C4.

Some system interfaces have changed.

Lots of security holes have been plugged.