On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:36:16 +0100, Morten Reistad <fi...@last.name>
wrote:

>The Germans could offer significant resistance until January of
>1945. Go read what the Ardenner offensive did to Eisenhower's
>broad front. Now imagine what it would do to Patton's forces,
>or Monty's for that matter if they had indeed done such a spearhead.

I'm not suggesting one way is better than the other.    My objection
is to the following statement in this thread:

>And we do know that Eisenhower was correct "enough".  And that's what
>really counts.

Yeah, the Nazis didn't win.    But that is insufficient reason to
assume our choice was optimal.    Same thing with Tom Watson Jr's
management styles, or IBMs mainframe strategy or my career choices.
"Good enough" isn't an optimal strategy.