>We running on z10 with 16 processors (1264 MSUs), however our LPAR just
>has 2 logical processors with 40 MSUs.

> Tried already to shift TCPIP into SYSTEM, but is not allowed. WLM can not
> starve STCs defined in SYSSTC. Why does WLM not cut the processor
> for the batch jobs which are defined DISCRETIONARY?

A few things to look at, but I also think you're out of luck once capping sets
in:

1. Check all things TCP for where they run. This is from a machine that also
has (sometimes) two cps, but *a lot* less MSUs when in a pinch:
TCPRESO  SCI1
TCPIP    SYSSTC
TCPSNMP SCI1
TCPFTP1  SCI4
TCPTN    SCI1
TCPGATEP SYSSTC
There is also a subsystem type TCP, do you have this defined? Or is there
anything in service class SYSOTHER?

2. For us, on the systems with very few MSUs, it is virtually pointless to
define
different exvels with the same importance level. Hence I have restricted us to
use exactly 5 service classes with exvel goals (more SC periods for response
time goals), and they basically only differ in the importance level. SCI6 is
discretionary. And yes, STC and batch get mixed in the same SC.
Ever since I have changed the policy to use these, we feel that an IPL (even
when the box is 100% busy) works much smoother and faster than before.
This is from the sysprog sandplex. For Production I wasn't allowed yet to
change, so I cannot comment on production.

3. How big is your discretionary pool? Are you using this 'guaranteed cpu'
(this
is the wrong name) feature that will give even discretionary workload a chance
to run? And to add even more unclear definitions, I remember a rule that
says 'don't define an exvel goal of less than 30% - bad things will happen'. I
don't even remember what those bad things were, though, but I still follow
that rule.

4. Do you use the SPM rules?

5. How do you issue your ping command? TSO? As an OMVS user? Batch? I
may have overlooked that, but why do you think it is *TCPIP* that is slow
instead of however the command gets to TCPIP (and the result back)?

Now, please someone refresh my memory what those bad things are and how
that WLM feature is really called! :-)

Regards, Barbara