In <1265899827.22396.879.ca...@chuck.duda.com>, on 02/11/2010
   at 09:50 AM, David Andrews <d...@lists.duda.com> said:

>There is a lucid discussion of the issue on Wikipedia:
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

You mean where it says "The ISO C standard states that time_t must be an
arithmetic type, but does not mandate any specific type or encoding for
it."?

>Whether a "Unix issue" or not, expanding time_t beyond the commonly
>implemented (and signed!) 32 bits breaks binary compatibility and file
>format.

Lots of things break binary compatibility without proving the existence of
a bug in the old code. As for breaking file formats, is a new file system
any worse than dropping IMBED and REPLICATE in VSAM?