> From: shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net
> if you're going to call PDF an ISPF application, should you
> call it multiple applications, e.g., BROWSE/EDIT/VIEW, compare?

No, PDF is (or was) a single application. All of the functions within that
application (Browse, Edit, Utilities, etc) all ran under the ISR application
ID. This is similar to how SDSF is a single application that runs under the ISF
application ID, and has many functions available from its menu (Input queue,
Output queue, Held queue, etc).

> What is the main menu? i...@prim? i...@prim?

The ISPF main menu (or more properly the 'ISPF Primary Option Menu') is usually
i...@prim. That's the one that has the PDF options on it, such as 1=View,
2=Edit, 3=Utilities (etc). It was called the ISPF menu even back when PDF was a
separate product; i.e. back when it should have really been called the PDF
menu. In contrast, i...@mstr is a proper ISPF menu (accessible by entering
ISPSTART at a TSO READY prompt instead of entering ISPF or PDF). This displays
the 'ISPF Master Application Menu'; i.e. a menu from which individual
applications or groups of applications can be selected.

I worked at a company where i...@prim used to be the 'main menu'. It had all of
the PDF options on it as well as other applications (such as SDSF, SimpList,
FileAid, etc). This caused 2 problems; first it was very crowded (and no-one
wanted to scroll down to see all the options). Second, every now and again IBM
changed their version of i...@prim (e.g. by adding additional PDF options). Of
course the new PDF options didn't magically appear on our in-house customized
version of the menu.

To fix these problems the logon CLIST was changed to issue 'ISPSTART' instead
of 'ISPF'. This meant i...@mstr was displayed instead of i...@prim. The 'ISPF
Master Application Menu' is a template supplied by IBM that can be customized
at each site. At our site i...@mstr was modified so that users could select
option 1 to go to the raw, uncustomized version of the PDF menu (i...@prim), or
select option 2 to go to the vendor applications menu (such as SDSF, SimpList,
FileAid, etc) or select option 3 to go to the in-house tools menu, and so on.
In this way, the PDF application was isolated from other applications, and if
IBM made any changes to the PDF menu they were picked up automatically. In
addition, it gave us plenty of room to add applications to the other menus
instead of trying to squeeze them all onto the PDF menu.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html

Introducing Windows® phone.