On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:54:43 -0400, Clark Morris wrote:

>Since executables can exist in zFS, would the smarter long term
>strategy be to migrate PDSE to zFS and dead end PDSE?  The PDSE

As soon as they allow Unix directories in my STEPLIB concatenation.
(And LINKLIST.)

But no aliases for program objects in Unix directories.  Rather,
such programs must inspect argv[ 0 ] and branch to the proper
label.

>construct suffers from a number of problems including 8 character
>member names and having to emulate the PDS.  This also could be the

As soon as EXEC PGM=, LOAD, LINK, and ATTACH allow longer names.

>migration path for SPOOL data sets.  Specialized SPOOL and PDS were

Amen.

>good ideas on the 360 and met real needs.  The Linux/Unix/Windows

Sicut erat in principio ...

>environments seem to have constructs that are more flexible and meet
>the needs well.  The major area of work might be handling of DCB type
>attributes if that is needed to be done.

FILEDATA=RECORD is a step in the direction of that compatibility.

-- gil