On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:24:22 -0600, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>Using a PDS the physical size of the library stabilized at under 5
>cylinders.  We were surprised to find that as a PDSE the table grew to
>many extents and over 100 cylinders before it stabilized!  It appears
>that ISPF leaves table library member references hanging after use in
>such a way that the PDSE was in many cases unable to reuse the deleted
>space until the TSO/ISPF session ended.  Near the end of a working day
>we would see the in-use space on the ISPF table PDSE approach 100+
>cylinders, and then once all users had logged off it would drop back
>down to around 1 cylinder in use, and repeat the pattern the next day.

There's a sore need for PDSE to provide an interface for releasing
such hanging references.  And for applications developers to learm
to use such an interface if it happens.

But isn't ISPF using the wrong tool?  Wouldn't tables be better
saved in a facility designed for the purpose, such as VSAM,
rather than by abuse of PDS/PDSE?  (I believe SMP/E made exactly
such a conversion, long ago.)

Could ISPF tables be stored in Unix files with fewer problems?
(I doubt I could just allocate ISPPROF to a Unix directory and
have it work; it would require a redesign of ISPF.)

-- gil