Bruce Hewson of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
wrote on 02/17/2010 04:09:59 AM:

> Hello John,
>
> there have been many responses.....some positive some negative...this is
> another negative I am sorry!
>
> 1.  Our developers still regularly break PDSE....and we are still getting
new
> APARs assigned as a result.
>
> 2.  With CICS regions always UP! and connected, the PDSE's do not do
auto-
> compress and release.
>
> 3.  And we still break PDSE!
>
> so the rule here still is "No PDSE for production applications
> unless absolutely
> required".
>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:46:57 -0800, John R. Ehrman (408-463-3543 T/543-
> ) <ehr...@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>PDSEs have been available for a long time, and provide many
>>advantages over PDSs. Why are people reluctant to use PDSEs?
>>John Ehrman

PDSE is not BPAM and it never will be.  If IBM would open up the doc on the
clandestine Media Manager, then maybe the ISV's could develop some tools (a
la catalog recovery).  PDSE is a file system that needs real-time
transaction backout and recovery.  SYSCTLG and SYS1.SYSJOBQE had similar
problems back in the day.

Regards,
John K