On 17 Feb 2010 05:39:17 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Bruce Hewson of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>wrote on 02/17/2010 04:09:59 AM:
>
>> Hello John,
>>
>> there have been many responses.....some positive some negative...this is
>> another negative I am sorry!
>>
>> 1.  Our developers still regularly break PDSE....and we are still getting
>new
>> APARs assigned as a result.
>>
>> 2.  With CICS regions always UP! and connected, the PDSE's do not do
>auto-
>> compress and release.
>>
>> 3.  And we still break PDSE!
>>
>> so the rule here still is "No PDSE for production applications
>> unless absolutely
>> required".

Since executables can exist in zFS, would the smarter long term
strategy be to migrate PDSE to zFS and dead end PDSE?  The PDSE
construct suffers from a number of problems including 8 character
member names and having to emulate the PDS.  This also could be the
migration path for SPOOL data sets.  Specialized SPOOL and PDS were
good ideas on the 360 and met real needs.  The Linux/Unix/Windows
environments seem to have constructs that are more flexible and meet
the needs well.  The major area of work might be handling of DCB type
attributes if that is needed to be done.