On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 06:54:21 -0600, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>"PDSE processing is planned to be changed to reduce delays that can occur
>when two systems are accessing a PDSE concurrently while it is being
>updated. PDSE will be designed to improve its cross-system sharing
>capabilities, including member-level sharing, within a GRS complex but outside
>a Parallel Sysplex. These changes are intended to make PDSEs more usable
>outside single-system and Parallel Sysplex environments."

Valuable as such sharing will be to me, I'm restraining my jubilation.

o Is this likely to seed a deluge of APARs, similar to the liberation
  of PDSE from SMS?

o Downward compatibility.  If a GRS complex contains systems at
  1.12, and others at lower levels, will the facility be available,
  even among the 1.12 systems, before all systems are at 1.12?

o Upward compatibility.  Will a conversion operation be necessary?

>"New PDSE functions are planned. A new utility will be designed to verify that
>the structure of a PDSE is valid, and programming services will be designed to
>perform similar checking to help programs verify the state of a PDSE before
>and after critical operations. These new functions are intended to help you
>detect errors in PDSE structures that might otherwise go undetected."

Wow!  They've invented fsck!

--gil