>One other advantage of having the separate LPARs is that by using
the
>LPAR weights I can give preference to the total production LPAR over
>what is running is development or the sysprog sandbox.  In the
instances
>where the total CEC is near its max (month end processing), I would
>prefer that development and the sandbox start feeling the pinch
before
>production does.

If your goal is to give preference to production work when the system
is maxed out, I submit that you're better off having dev/test/prod all in
the same system.  We have multiple LPARs here: sys prog sandbox,
a "legacy" two-way plex that has dev/test/prod all together in two
LPARs (across two boxes) and one with 4 LPARs--two of which are
supposedly dev/test and two of which are supposedly production.

When a box gets maxed out, the "dev-test" LPARs continue to process
work--consuming their share.  On the "legacy" plex, dev/test work on
the maxed out processor basically comes to a halt as WLM works to
protect the production workload--as it probably rightly should.  Is your
dev/test work really more important than your production work?  I
agree that there are specific situations where it may be, e.g. some
production batch that really doesn't need to be done "right now" but
you have a developer sitting on their hands waiting on a compile.

If you have dev/test in a separate LPAR on the machine, you probably
aren't going to set the weight to zero to force dev/test to give up all
their cycles, but WLM can come pretty close to that for work in the
same LPAR.

Having been in development, I understand the need for keeping some
development moving, and separate dev/test LPARs are good for that.
And I understand the warm fuzzy feeling one gets from deploying z/OS
to dev/test first.  But in my experience, new z/OS releases rarely cause
application problems and in a production sysplex you can roll the OS to
just one LPAR at a time, further reducing the risk.  And as was
previously pointed out, dev/test should have their own instances of
WAS, DB2, CICS, etc. so new versions of the things that are more likely
to cause problems should be rolled out to dev/test first.

One final point: at least here, testing happens on the production LPAR
even in that 4 way plex with the 2 dev/test LPARs.  Why?  Because
those are the larger LPARs and so a long time ago the "system test"
environment was put there so they could have the resources to run
larger tests.  That did cause us a problem yesterday in one of the few
ways that dev/test still can impact production: a series of looping test
jobs filled the spool.  So even if you have separate dev/test LPARs,
people will find a way to cause you trouble in production.