that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

gahe...@gmail.com (George Henke) writes:
> Yes, I believe it was some how connected to Preferred Machine Assist (PMA)
> where page 0 was actually owned by MVS not VM.

preferred machine assist could be considered step on the way to LPARs
... since part of it involved the virtual machine pages being mapped to
fixed real storage.

the earlier version of this (preferred V=R guest) had been done for
vm370 at the science center circa mid-70s on a "csc/vm" base. There was
then a joint study with AT&T ... which was provided a copy of the
(complete) system. One of the enhancements that AT&T put into vm370
kernel was support for virtual devices operating over network (could
mount a tape in one datacenter and read it from a different machine in a
different datacenter).

It somewhat propogated around internal AT&T ... where they made some
number of enhancements and migrated the source code to new machines as
they came out.

In the 80s, the AT&T national marketing rep tracked me down about
possibly helping AT&T move off the platform. The "csc/vm" base they
had didn't include SMP/multiprocessor support ... and the 3081 strategy
was still multiprocessor only ... before TPF customers forced the
company into doing 3083 uniprocessor (at the time, TPF still didn't have
multiprocessor support). AT&T was being forced to going with clone
processor vendor that had single processor products (for the again vm370
system). That old csc/vm system included my dynamic adaptive resource
manager ... so I made a point of it being able to dynamically adapt
across a broad range of processors & processor generations ... with
nearly two orders magnitude range in performance.

3083 finnally announced
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3083.html

above also has mention of preferred machine assist being supported.

trivia ... 3083 involved removing one of the processors in 3081 in the
frame. unfortunately, "processor 0" was physically at the top of the
box. there was concern that the simplest, straight-forward removal of
"processor 1" would make the box dangerously top-heavy.

past posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#58 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#59 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#60 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#61 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#62 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#63 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#66 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#69 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#70 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#71 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#72 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#73 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#78 LPARs: More or Less?

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970