On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:19:37 -0500, Anne & Lynn Wheeler
<l...@garlic.com> wrote:

>The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.
>

>gahe...@gmail.com (George Henke) writes:
>> Yes, I believe it was some how connected to Preferred Machine Assist
(PMA)
>> where page 0 was actually owned by MVS not VM.
>
>preferred machine assist could be considered step on the way to LPARs
>... since part of it involved the virtual machine pages being mapped to
>fixed real storage.
>
>the earlier version of this (preferred V=R guest) had been done for
>vm370 at the science center circa mid-70s on a "csc/vm" base. There was
>then a joint study with AT&T ...

At Monsanto Europe in Brussels about 1976 I wrote some mods to VM/370 to
defeat Shadow Page Tables for V=R machines so we could run MVS under
VM/370 without a crippling overhead.  I sent that code out into the world on
some (Waterloo?) VM Mods tape, but my own copy got dumped in some move
down the years. Wish I had it now, it would go really nicely on Herc.

DC