>It may be in some old SHARE presentations,  but Multi-system's Test
>used to run VM under MVS and more MVS's  under VM according to >Peter B.
Yes, I believe it was some how connected to Preferred Machine Assist (PMA)
where page 0 was actually owned by MVS not VM.

This was  to facilitate performance for VM/MVS shops because there was no
comparable VM/VSE feature for MVS and VM to control the handshaking between
the two

The entire MVS virtual machine would get swapped out whenever an MVS address
space, eg TSO user, batch, was swapped out.

The handshaking issues have since been resolved by later versions of VM
and/or MVS and the two now coexist fairly well.

I did not mean to touch off a debate, however delightful, with my
"glittering generality" as to what constitutes a "true" operating system.

It was just from the little I can tell, as an outsider, that in the
"one-upsmanship" operating system battle, VM still controls page 0, though
there have been momentary lapses like PMA in the past, and whoever controls
page 0 wins.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Ed Finnell <efinnel...@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/2010 7:16:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com writes:
>
> No.  z/OS doesn't run Unix underneath it.  Rather, the  Unix API's are
> incorporated in z/OS.
>

> It may be in some old SHARE presentations,  but Multi-system's Test
> used to run VM under MVS and more MVS's  under VM according to Peter B.
> Saergant. The purpose was to drive the hardware  as hard as possible and
> see
> how it recovered in various scenarios. There was  also a CMS under MVS( Sam
> Lapore, RATSO SHARE Project), internal CLIST  compiler(CLIQ) that's still
> on
> the shelf in Armonk for 'Marketing  Reasons'.

George Henke
(C) 845 401 5614