Over the years, in multiple shops, I have come across multiple sysprogs that
have created new APF libraries. As you say, it is needed to perform their
job. However, ensuring that those libraries were appropriately protected may
not have been their job (perhaps it should have been, but that is a
different issue). After many months or years, it was discovered that those
APF libraries did not have appropriate protection. One can argue that
company had poor procedures, or not enough staff, etc. which should be
addressed, or you could provide a facility to mitigate the situation.

The mere fact that a library is APF authorized implies that you probably
only what highly trusted people updating it. If you could put your highly
trusted people on the access list of just one profile that protected all APF
libraries that would help reduce the human error factor or the don't care
factor. It does mean higher overhead, but protecting APF libraries is
important. Of course, if you have good procedures that are always followed,
you don't need this kind of feature. Human error (and it's not my job) is
really hard to eliminate. The new hire who does not know or understand your
naming standard can introduce a hole.

CSVAPF protects who can change the APF list. That is different from
protecting the content of the APF libraries. What I had suggested was method
to allow you to protect (with a single profile) all currently APF authorized
libraries from unauthorized update or access regardless of its name, volume,
etc. In other words, even if you had DATASET ALTER authority to a APF
library, you could not update it unless you also had UPDATE to the special
APF profile. Of course, this added protection does not apply while the
libraries are not in the APF list or from another system with a different
APF list. Obviously my suggestion was not bullet proof and had a few holes.

I think the RACF administrator can and should ask about new APF libraries.
Not whether the library is needed, but whether it is appropriately
protected.

Don Williams