I believe simply rewriting the policy was not sufficient.  Please tell me if
this is what you did:

1) First IPL at DR site specified CFRM CDS data set "one".  This IPL
specified CFRMPOL(policy_a).  "Policy_a" was not correct.

2) Second IPL at DR site used the exact same CFRM CDS as in attempt 1. In
this IPL, you specified CFRMPOL(policy_b) or else you specified
CFRMPOL(policy_a) having first rewritten "policy_a" in the CFRM CDS prior to
the IPL.

This fails because the CFRMPOL parameter is only acted upon if there is NO
active policy in the CFRM CDS.

Here's the way I think about this, to keep this straight in my own mind:

Whenever it is necessary to IPL at DR with a new CFRM policy, the CFRM CDS
must be newly created.

By the way, in my experience, the Sysplex CDS has nothing to do with this at
all - this is strictly a matter of whether the CFRM CDS data set has an
active policy in it, or if instead the CFRM CDS data set is newly allocated
and empty when the new DR policy is loaded into it.

Here's a good explanation of the one-shot nature of the CFRMPOL parameterm
from Setting Up a Sysplex:

-=-=-=-=-=-
4.4.2  Performing System Level Initialization

CFRM performs system level initialization based on the state of the active
CFRM policy. Valid CFRM policy states are:

o   The CFRM couple data set contains an active policy that is empty, that
    is, there is no currently active CFRM policy, either a policy that was
    never started or policy usage was stopped. A policy is activated
    either by issuing a SETXCF START,POLICY command or specifying
    CFRMPOL(POLICY-NAME) in the COUPLExx parmlib member used when the
    sysplex is IPLed. Policy usage is stopped by issuing a SETXCF
    STOP,POLICY command.

o   The CFRM couple data set contains an active policy that was properly
    defined with the administrative data utility and then activated either
    by using the SETXCF START command or the CFRMPOL parameter in the
    COUPLExx parmlib member.

At your first IPL, you can use CFRMPOL to load an appropriate CFRM policy.
But, this only works once - if you make a mistake, you need to delete/define
new CFRM CDS data sets (to make them empty again) and reload the policy,
otherwise your next IPL will use the same policy as was activated by the
first IPL.

Brian