> I, alas, started on a much slower
> machine, the 650, about which I feel *no* nostalgia. I do, however,
> have fond memories of the 7094.

Nice.  My first job as a coop student at IBM was to convert a 650 SOAP
program that ran the Toronto plant to a 1401 card system Autocoder
program.  I think I still have the card systems Autocoder compiler decks
somewhere. I did read the SOAP program to figure out what the program did,
but never wrote any 650 code myself.

Not a fond memory, but an interesting one.  The 650 we were taking out had
a 2 (4?) KB drum memory.  The autocoder (think BAL) program I wrote to
replace it was for a 4 KB 1401 card system.  High/Low/Equal compare was a
special feature on a 1401.

Tom Russell

"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs." ─ Jasper FriendlyBear
"... and remember to leave good news alone." ─ Gracie HeavyHand