------------------------------------------<snip>-----------------------

The 2305 was available with selector channel interfaces before the blk-mux interfaces. At NCSS we were told that it took a complete selector subchannel, with eight "exposures", to function properly so we configured them (16 devices) to run off 2860 Selector channels hanging off a 370/168 system.

The 2880 was first announced for the S/360; the S/370 was not announced
until 1970, a year after the 360/85, and the original announcement did not
include the 370/168. I'd guess that your management simply did not want to
spend the money on a 2880.
I can't speak for mgmt decisions. Until the S/370-168 was installed, we ran almost completely S/360-67's, either simplex, duplex, or one triplex. This was all in the 1973-1974 time frame. We used the 2305 devices exclusively for paging and we did some "strange things" with track formats. Like "gap" records that allowed us to switch exposures quickly. We could read the successive three page records from a single track, from three different exposures, within a single revolution! Same thing with page writes. We also LRU'd page records from 2305 to 3330 to 2314, all in the background. Needless to say, we had a fairly complex paging environment but it seemed to work very well.

I'd KILL for a copy of two programs I used while I was there: IMAGE and LOGCAP.

Rick