In <4bd491ce.5010...@ync.net>, on 04/25/2010
   at 02:02 PM, Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net> said:

>I suspect that 2305 was an outgrowth of the 2302, not necessarily a
>"new" device.

I don't have any information on that, although the platters certainly
looked similar to those on the 1301, 1302 and 2302.

>The 2305 was available with selector channel interfaces
>before the blk-mux interfaces. At NCSS we were told that it took a
>complete selector subchannel, with eight "exposures", to function
>properly so we configured them (16 devices) to run off 2860 Selector
>channels hanging off a 370/168 system.

The 2880 was first announced for the S/360; the S/370 was not announced
until 1970, a year after the 360/85, and the original announcement did not
include the 370/168. I'd guess that your management simply did not want to
spend the money on a 2880.