GTF traces the seek address (CCHR, et al.) stored in the IOSB but the
post-processing to determine which of the data sets on the volume has each
given traced CCHR within its allocated extents is non-trivial, and I don't know
of anyone who has written such code, unless I did it and have forgotten about
it.  FastDASD, marketed by CA the last I heard, does all that by sampling, not
tracing, the DASD addresses used by most access methods, then reads the VTOC to
determine in which data set each I/O occurred.  I used to be involved with
FastDASD, and may even have added support for GTF input, but if so, it was too
long ago for my mercury delay line memory cells to remember.

TMON/MVS, on the other hand, gets the CCHRs by intercepting I/Os rather than
sampling z/OS control blocks.  Its analysis is thus far more accurate, but the
amount of data analyzed is much smaller than is capable with FastDASD.

I'm not sure how unabridged the SMF records are; i.e., probably not all I/Os
are accounted for, especially those done by the operating system and/or exotic
subsystems using low-level access methods.  Both TMON/MVS and FastDASD are
capable of catching such SMF-avoiding I/Os as long as they are done by
components that put the I/O's starting DASD seek address in the IOSB, but that
is not required of authorized programs that do I/O.

Bill Fairchild

Software Developer
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street * Newton, MA 02466-2272 * USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4503 * Mobile: +1.508.341.1715
Email: bi...@mainstar.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com