larrychenev...@verizon.net (Larry Chenevert) writes:
> Amdahl had an internal tool that did this.

there were two different simulators done in late 70s ...  one used
standard i/o vm370 trace and modeled activity. it was modified to take a
full 3330 configuration and output the configuration for migration to
3350 ... with load-balancing across 3350 drives.

The other was "DMKCOL" (internal mods to vm) which did super high
performance cchr capture and drove it various thru cache design and
replacement algorithms. There was also work on abstracting the
information in real time so that it could be run as part of normal
production operation for providing input into dynamic disk allocation.
While the initial work was under vm370 ... it was used for capturing
information from production cms-intensive operations as well as guest
operating systems (under vm370) ... the methodology could be added to
other operating systems.

Early cache simulation results was looking at optimal placement of fixed
amount of electronic storage cache ... i.e. trade-off between disk-level
cache, controller level cache, channel level cache, (303x channel)
director level cache or system level cache. One of the results was that
single system level cache was more efficient than dividing the
electronic memory available multiple smaller caches. This result was
purely from the standpoint of cache hit ratios and aggregate amount of
fixed electronic storage. The limitation at the time (late 70s) was now
way to have system level managed addressability for large amounts of
cache ... and no easy way to have independent processor managing the
information. Even tho it showed that multiple 8mbytes in 3880 controller
caches was less efficient (in terms of cache hit ratios) than single
large system cache ... there was no easy way of packaging and shipping
the system cache (although it might have contributed to justifying
expanded store in 3090).

I had done a lot of work for DMKCOL ... and it was somewhat satisfying
that the different cache level simulation showing that single global
cache had higher hit ratio than equivalent electronic storage
partitioned into different 3880 controllers. This corresponded to the
work I had done as undergraduate in the 60s as undergraudate and showing
global replacement was more efficient than local/partitioned
replacement.

Slightly later I got pulled into academic dispute over global versus
local ... there was some amount of concerted opposition to granting a
stanford PHD on global replacement. At acm sigops '81 meeting, I was
asked to provide supporting evidence on global replacement from my 60s
undergraduate days. Presumably some sort of internal corporate politics
resulted in my not being allowed to respond until oct82 (sounds better
than assuming that they were taking sides in the academic dispute)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email821019
in this post:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#46

a couple past posts mentioning DMKCOL work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#35 The Future of CPUs: What's After
Multi-Core?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#3 The Future of CPUs: What's After
Multi-Core?

misc. past posts referencing global replacement work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#wsclock

Longer term DMKCOL collecting (several months) ... after identifying
relatively short term use patterns (used for things like cache design)
... started turning up other kinds of longer period patterns ... certain
collections of accesses done on periodic basis.

some of this shows up backup/archive "containers" ... collections
treated as single unit ... I had done the original CMSBACK that then
morphed into workstation datasave facility, then ADSM and is now TSM
... some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#cmsback

misc. past backup/archive posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#backup

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970