I could probably dig out my old "speeds and feeds" documents (actually little laminated cards we gave out to customers and prospects) that listed the NVS size options of, as I recall, 4M, 8M, 12M, and 16M and some other stuff. They are probably in the attic. I may have time to do this in the coming weeks before it gets too hot to forage in the attic. Maybe I will post a scan of one or more of them.

T. J. Watson . . . yeah -- maybe five computers... I, for one, am glad he underestimated!

Larry Chenevert
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Fairchild" <bi...@mainstar.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: How to analyze a volume's access by dataset

I remember now about Amdahl's CSIM.  Thanks for the lengthy post on it.

Cache and NVS sizes were indeed vanishingly small in the 1980s compared to today's models. I remember attending a SHARE session, ca. 1989, in which an IBM cache control unit person from Tucson said that IBM had modeled vast amounts of traced user I/O requests and decided that 4M, or at most 8M, of NVS was all that anyone would ever need to support DASD fast writes. This reminds of me T. J. Watson's prediction in 1943 that "there is a world market for maybe five computers." lol

Bill Fairchild

Software Developer
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street * Newton, MA 02466-2272 * USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4503 * Mobile: +1.508.341.1715
Email: bi...@mainstar.com