On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net> wrote:

> -----------------------------<snip>------------------------------------
>
> Highly unlikely unless I'm missing something obvious. The only LEGAL way to
> access memory in some other address space is via an SRB. You need to be in
> sup state and key zero to schedule an SRB and REXX runs key 8 and problem
> state. But if we're allowed to cheat then I'll play :-)
>
> PS> I didn't know there were any mainframe people at Queens...
> -------------------------------<unsnip>-------------------------------
> Not strictly true, but the mechanisms are NOT for the meek! I've found
> other ways but in the interests of safety, I'll not share them.

Notice that I said "Legal". Nothing else is supported by the z/OS software
architecture - regardless of whether something else is possible under the
hardware architecture. Any grinning idiot with an APF library can study PoPs
and contrive ways of gaining addressability to some other address space, but
since z/OS doesn't know (or allow!) what you would be doing, the results are
most kindly described as "unpredictable".

--
This email might be from the
artist formerly known as CC