On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:13:34 -0500 Chris Craddock <crashlu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

:>On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Ray Overby <rayove...@comcast.net> wrote:
:>
:>> My understanding is if the target address space is non-swappable then you
:>> can safely use non-srb code to obtain access to the other address space's
:>> private area. I believe the unpredictability comes when the target address
:>> spaces are swappable. Depending upon your application requirements non-srb
:>> code may in fact work. For example, address spaces with a system LX that
:>> support space switch pc routines will always be non-swappable. If your
:>> application required data from these address spaces you should be ok. There
:>> are other address spaces that normally run non-swappable. However, you could
:>> not access all address spaces with this technique. For swappable address
:>> spaces you should use SRB code. As usual, it depends upon your
:>> application.........

:>Non-swappability is necessary but not sufficient. For example, the
:>application running in address space with ASID=26 could terminate while
:>you're looking at it and be replaced by another application running in the
:>same ASID because z/OS likes to reuse ASIDs.

That is why one would want to take the CML lock, which may lead to much
merriment should there be a page fault.

http://www.dissensoftware.com