Hello Alan,

At the very least, you need to know the Write Rate (in MB/s) of the DASD
volumes that will be replicated. I guess it depends on your available tools,
but the RMF Post Processor reports may be the best place for you to start this
analysis.

I would start with the following report:

DINTV(0015)             <---- Ensure lowest available INT for better granularity
REPORTS(CHANNEL)        <---- Use CHAN if the RMFGAT is not running to create
Type 79-C
REPORTS(IOQ)
REPORTS(DEVICE)
REPORTS(CACHE)
REPORTS(FCD)            <---- Ensure ESS coded in ERBRMFnn in SYS1.PARMLIB
REPORTS(ESS)            <---- Ensure ESS coded in ERBRMFnn in SYS1.PARMLIB
SUMMARY(INT,TOT)

Don't forget to consider other bandwidth factors like data compression,
protocol overhead and link headroom (you don't want your link running at 100%
all the time), the relative values of which are to variable to mention.

Also, you don't mention whether it is Sync (Truecopy) or Async (Universal
Replicator) replication that you are planning...as this may/will also have a
bearing on the bandwidth that you can live with.

Of course your local HDS folks would be able to assist....there will be
Professional Services (Remote Copy Planning and Design service) that are
available to help.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Maurice Clark
Principal Consultant - Architecture and Design
Global Solution Services
Hitachi Data Systems Australia
Level 4, 441 St Kilda Road
Melbourne VIC 3004 Australia