If someone else has provided this information, I apologize, as I only get a digest- There was, at one time, a submission on the CBT distribution, which provided a subsystem to accomplish just that purpose. I was able to do some interesting extensions to it, as well, but the politics of an absentee management structure led me to put myself out to pasture. Since I've retired, I have no access to my old stuff or an MVS system to dig into the CBT, so I can't refer you directly to which entry it is (or was).

Dale Miller