On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:52:34 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>>I link your idea a lot. It reminds me of how Unix executables can be
>>any interpreter using the "#! /some/prog"
>
>The C/I is not a shell.

I do not mean to conflate converter operations with interpreter
operations.  I was looking for an enhancement to the lame generative
facilities (mostly now limited to PROC and SET) of the converter,
such as converter-phase conditionals and looping.  Converter, not
Interpreter.  I would expect John Gilmore's language of choice
if this were done to be HLASM with PUNCH statement output fed back
to the Converter input stream.

If the external generator were forked into a separate address space
and setuid submitter, the security exposures would be limited to
DoS via long-running or output-spewing generators.

>Now, what would be nice would be if the TSO service routines could
>recognize a shebang or equivalent in SYSPROC and SYSEXEC members.

Even as they now recognize "/* Rexx ..."?

I agree.  Do "SYSCALL spawn sh ...".  Hmmm.  How does one pass a handle
of a PDS member to /bin/sh?  Copy it to HFS and pass that?  Connect
stdin to keyboard and stdout and stderr to display?  Oops!  This
instantly gets into trouble with the VTAM TSO half-ass^H^H^Hduplex
terminal handling.  Cf. the infuriating RUNNING/INPUT toggle in 3270
OMVS.

--gil