In <listserv%201006262246290980.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 06/26/2010
   at 10:46 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>I do not mean to conflate converter operations with interpreter
>operations.

That doesn't change things; it would be an integrity exoposure either
way.

>If the external generator were forked into a separate address space
>and setuid submitter, the security exposures would be limited to DoS
>via long-running or output-spewing generators.

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

>Even as they now recognize "/* Rexx ..."?

In principle, but it would take more code.

>How does one pass a handle
>of a PDS member to /bin/sh?

Extend the syntax. Use a pipe. There are ways to do it.

>This instantly gets into trouble with the VTAM TSO
>half-ass^H^H^Hduplex terminal handling.

ObMarkTwain You mean the missing functionality that's been there for
decades?

>Cf. the infuriating RUNNING/INPUT toggle in 3270 OMVS.

That's the OMVS application code, not the VTIOC services. Similarly,
the behavior of ISPF is due to ISPF code, not TSO.

I vaguely recall there there is code on the CBT tape that runs full
duplex in TSO. It's not rocket science.