On 06/29/2010 11:58 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>> NIST is a US government web site. As if that means very much, any more.
>
> Well, if we all followed US standards, the metric system would never have
> been implemented.
> Nothing against your country, but foreign standards are not necessarily
> enforced in other countries.
> But, as I've said before, a lot of this is nit-picking.
> -

If you read the citation quoted from the NIST site, you would have
realized this is an International Standard, not a U.S. standard, and
NIST is merely referencing the International Standard.  Since 1998 there
hasn't been any excuse for imprecision other than ignorance of the
standard, but at least part of that blame falls on educators who have
failed to convey proper usage.
--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org