On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:43:42 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

>I wrote a small program that took the parm (after the system
>substituted the variables) and wrote it as a F 80 80 file w 1 record.
>Ran it once for each card then used all the files for the input file.

But you had to type the date by hand into the PARM, failing
to satisfy the OP's requirement for a symbolic parameter.

>> On 9/16/2010 at 2:47 PM, "Harris, Randy" wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a symbolic parameter for date that will allow me to do this?

Come to think of it, nowadays FTP can take its input from
a DDNAME.  Many installations have dealt with the symbolic
date stupidity by providing a parameter member that's
updated periodically, automatically.  You could use such
a member as the first catenand.

Hmmm.  DDNAME.  Concatenation.  I know some of the deficiencies
of FTP.  I'd be pessimistic about supplying:

    //FTPDATA  DD  PATH='/...'
    //         DD  *
    //         DD  DSN=...
    // ...

I wonder whether that works?  I wonder whether it's
documented that it doesn't?

-- gil