I came up against this and now build the whole ftp job using a batch
initiated REXX program.

We ftp backup files to a remote server and I needed a generation of 3
weeks worth of files.

Our ftp datasets now look like this:

PACK#10.D10210.T10801 etc...

I use another REXX program to build a series of FTP DELETE statements
to remove files older than 3 weeks old.

Clunky but it works OK.

If the OP wants a sample, email me off list.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:43:42 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:
>
>>I wrote a small program that took the parm (after the system
>>substituted the variables) and wrote it as a F 80 80 file w 1 record.
>>Ran it once for each card then used all the files for the input file.
>>
> But you had to type the date by hand into the PARM, failing
> to satisfy the OP's requirement for a symbolic parameter.

> Come to think of it, nowadays FTP can take its input from
> a DDNAME.  Many installations have dealt with the symbolic
> date stupidity by providing a parameter member that's
> updated periodically, automatically.  You could use such
> a member as the first catenand.
>
> Hmmm.  DDNAME.  Concatenation.  I know some of the deficiencies
> of FTP.  I'd be pessimistic about supplying:
>
>    //FTPDATA  DD  PATH='/...'
>    //         DD  *
>    //         DD  DSN=...
>    // ...
>
> I wonder whether that works?  I wonder whether it's
> documented that it doesn't?
>
> -- gil

Wayne V. Bickerdike