On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:12:56 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>> I believe that in the newest z/OS release (1.12?) FTP will
>> be able to take its input from a named pipe (FIFO).  With
>> this, you could achieve your result by concatenating
>> the output of date(1) and your data set into such a pipe.
>
>I think that is referring to accessing a named pipe in the PUT or GET
>ftp subcommand. Not for using a pipe to send the commands to the ftp
>processor.

We're in intense agreement on that point.  And I just glanced
at the 1.12 Comm Svr Commands manual.  A bunch of rules about
named pipes.  But the server can create, delete, and manipulate
named pipes on behalf of the client, and the client can use
named pipes as local files for either GET or PUT.

But, as I feared, FTP misbehaves when I put from a local //DD:
which refers to a mixed concatenation (sample job below).
When the first catenand is a Unix file, all subsequent catenands
seem to be ignored.  In the case given, the imbedded instream
data set is mixed with hundreds of blank lines.  IEBGENER with
the same SYSUT1 gets it right.  A major violation of the KISS
principle.  Why can't FTP just do QSAM GETs from the supplied
DDNAME and write to the socket?  Obviously it tries something
more complicated and fails miserably.  (z/OS 1.10)

//STEP1    EXEC  PGM=FTP,PARM='&SERVER (EXIT'
//OUTPUT    DD   SYSOUT=(,)
//NETRC     DD   PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,RECFM=VB,LRECL=999,
//  FILEDATA=TEXT,
//  PATH='&NETRC'
//SYSUT1    DD   *
    ========== Prefixed instream data
//          DD   PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=24000,
//  FILEDATA=TEXT,
//  PATH='/etc/rc'
//          DD   *
    ========== This is instream data
//          DD   DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB(SPLEVEL)
//INPUT     DD   *
    put //DD:SYSUT1  foo.catftp
    quit
//*
//* Compare to IEBGENER =========================================
//STEP2    EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=(,)
//SYSIN     DD  DUMMY
//SYSUT2    DD  SYSOUT=(,)
//SYSUT1    DD   *
    ========== Prefixed instream data
//          DD   PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=24000,
//  FILEDATA=TEXT,
//  PATH='/etc/rc'
//          DD   *
    ========== This is instream data
//          DD   DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB(SPLEVEL)
//

-- gil