On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:32:41 -0500, Roland Fernandez wrote:

>Have you considered the system symbol interpreter called EZACFSM1?  I
>checked to make sure it was available in Comm Server 1.7.

Thanks!  I didn't know about this.  I still know very little;
the only meager documentation I can find is a single example
in:

    #1.2.9.1 "z/OS V1R10.0 Comm Svr: IP Configuration Guide"
    1.2.9.1 MVS system symbols

no formal syntax description, DDNAME specification, Usage Notes,
etc.

<Sarcasm> Wonderful! <Sarcasm>
So IBM provides this utility that has all the uncertainty
that IBM claims they're protecting me from by not making
system symbols available in batch JCL for only the minor
inconvenience of wrapping my JCL in another job.  But it
is available to all potential customers.  And it substitutes
system symbols in instream data sets.  But it doesn't
substitute JCL symbols.  A test case:

//EZACFSM1  JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//* Doc: Demonstrate the use of EZACFSM1
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//  SET JCLSYM='Test symbol value'
//*
//SUBMIT   EXEC  PGM=EZACFSM1
//SYSOUT    DD   SYSOUT=(,INTRDR)
//SYSIN     DD   DATA,DLM='..'
//EZACFSMX  JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//DOIT     EXEC  PGM=IEBGENER
//TEST      DD   DISP=(,DELETE),UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(CYL,1),
//  DSN=&SYSUID..ECATEST.DATA.D&MON&DAY&YR2
//SYSPRINT  DD   SYSOUT=(,)
//SYSIN     DD   DUMMY
//SYSUT2    DD   SYSOUT=(,)
//SYSUT1    DD   *
    datum is &SYSUID..ECATEST.DATA.D&MON&DAY&YR2
    JCL symbol is &JCLSYM
    Does double ampersand (&&amp;) protect &&amp;MON&&amp;DAY&&amp;YR2  Yes!
    But it doesn't protect itself &&amp;WTF
//

Thanks again,
gil