On 23 Sep 2010 07:29:51 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>  Yes, I had thought of extrapolating channel busy % but I'm not sure that
> would be precise enough.
>Thanks for the suggestion.

As I recall the SMF 14 (sequential read) and 15 (sequential write)
records have the device type and probably the address.  EXCPs times
blocksize should give a decent approximation and taking all of the
records for a given 24 hour period should give a fair idea of the
number of bytes per day.

Clark Morris