----------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------------

I would think it means code that front-ends one of the First Level Interrupt
Handlers

That's how Amdahl implemented SE and SP assist years ago. I think IBM did it to
implement the IEEE floating point instructions so that they would work on
processors that lacked the hardware. Of course these were not malicious
implementations.

Bob Shannon
Rocket Software
Even earlier than that, IBM used a comnination of hardware and software intercepts based around Program Interrupts to implement the Commercial Feature on the 360/44. I still have a copy of the "Emulator" that was loaded into special areas of 360/44 core that finished the process of implementing thie Commercial Feature, as well as a few other instructions in the General Instruction Set. :-)

Rick