------------------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------

I say heavily customized but that's only a few of my customers.  Just about
every mainframe shop I've seen, especially those that have been around a while,
have enough customization, exits, etc. to be in trouble soon.  And, honestly,
who will they call?  Serious question.  Who, consulting companies, IBM
consultants or partners?
I would say that the first step should be to have ALL customization, exits, etc. very well documented, both their action and the reasons for their actions. The more detail, the better. Given that information at your site, you should be able to choose whatever technical assistance you might require from any of the three groups you've named.

Documentation is rather like sex; any is goodness; when it's really good, it's GREAT!. :-)

Rick