--------------------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------

As a new z/OS applications developer I'm curious as to what types of things use custom
user exits et al for.  From what I've heard from our sysprogs, our philosophy is to
"never" use inhouse written user exits.  Of course there are vendor supplied
user exits, but the only inhouse user exit I know of that we use is CICS XDLIPRE, and
that's only in our test regions.  (And interestingly we just this week ran in to issues
with XDLIPRE cause AUEP abends!)
Frank, I've used exits to enforce JCL standards, (JES2 and TSO), display information on SYSLOG and JOBLOGs (IEFAACTRT and IEFU8x) and impose a more restrictive set of rules on password formation in RACF. My use was by no means exhaustive but those are a few of the things that exits can do for your shop. We also used an exits to automatically strt SMFDUMP whenever the SMV datasets switched because the current one got full, or the operator issued a SWITCH command.

Rick