I could do that. But I'll run into resistance. I have the HTTPD server
running. And some minor Web sites on it which I wrote. The problem is
that management knows that our z software bill is MSU dependent. So they
are always looking to reduce MSUs. Which translates to "don't run
anything on the z unless you absolutely must".

In any case, how would you maintain the HTML itself? ISPF EDIT? Please
don't say "FrontPage" or "Cold Fusion". I'm really "sold" on a markup
language such as DocBook. But I have actually written HTML myself. I'd
like DocBook because a single document can then be rendered into HTML or
a PDF or ... format. Well, if I ever learn how to actually do that.

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:37 +0000, Terry Sambrooks wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> In connection with your query about what installations may use for
> documentation have you considered the mainframe's WEB Server capability?
>
> The choices are direct HTTP Server, or the use of CICS to delivery static
> content. The latter offer scope for HTML documents to be stored in either
> UNIX files (HFS or ZFS) or PDSEs.
>
> A little over 10 years ago the company I worked for needed an International
> Quality accreditation, and one of the criteria was to ensure that everybody
> had access to up to date documentation. At the time, using the HTTP Server
> in OS/390 gave us an eminently suitable vehicle, as everybody had a WEB
> browser, and we then only needed to maintain a central copy of the
> documentation, accessible from our 30 people centres.
>
> I accept that this concept crosses boundaries in respect of which department
> is responsible for what, and hence may be a political non-starter.
>
> Kind Regards - Terry
>
> Director
> KMS-IT Limited
> 228 Abbeydale Road South
> Dore
> Sheffield
> S17 3LA
> UK
>
> Reg : 3767263
>
> Outgoing e-mails have been scanned, but it is the recipients responsibility
> to ensure their anti-virus software is up to date.

John McKown
Maranatha! <><