Tell them to stop spending zCycles on compression. :) Simplify the
FILTLIST to just the one VSAM file.

Or, do as I did. Extended, stripped, compressed is the default. With a
DATACLAS=NOEXTEND for the few cases that can't handle it.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University

Except that
> there is a limit to the number of entries in a single FILTLIST. To
duplicate the
> current list requires 3 FILTLISTs and a statement like:
>
> WHEN (&DSN EQ &F1 OR
>       &DSN EQ &F2 OR
>       &DSN EQ &F3) SET DATACLAS='DCEXTC'
>
> If F3 FILTLIST gets to long, I'll need to create F4 and update the
WHEN. I just
> don't like it. I would like something better. If, as you say, DVC does
not
> influence &MAXSIZE, then I might end up not assigning DCEXTC when I
really
> should. I would really like to eliminate all compression. But we
actually do
> have one VSAM KSDS which, uncompressed, might get very close to the
limit
> of 59 volumes (of 3390-3 space). We do not have any RDMS on z/OS and
> won't get one. Management is doing their best to find a justification
> eliminate z/OS and convert to a 100% Windows shop (they want to
convert
> all Linux, AIX, and Solaris servers to Windows too.) They won't do
> __anything__ to make z/OS better, unless is also reduces the cost to
run
> z/OS. Wish I could find a new vocation. Like professional
Tiddley-Winkes
> player (except that I have arthritis) or "mattress tester".
>
> --
> John McKown
> Systems Engineer IV
> IT
>
> Administrative Services Group
>
> HealthMarkets(r)
>
> 9151 Boulevard 26 * N. Richland Hills * TX 76010
> (817) 255-3225 phone *
> john.mck...@healthmarkets.com * www.HealthMarkets.com
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential
or
> proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact
> the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.
> HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and
issued by
> the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life
> Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of
> TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

DSNs
> > and
> > > patterns to be assigned the DCEXTC DATACLAS. I consider this to be
> > very
> > > clumsy and difficult to maintain. Is there an easier way which
does
> > not
> > > require that the individual DEFINE desks specify the DCEXTC data
> > class? I
> > > cannot depend on the programmers to do this correctly. And
> > they would
> > rise
> > > up in arms if I tried, anyway. Also, trying to use the &MAXSIZE is
> > likely to be a
> > > failure due to the way that our previous storage person set up
SMS.