-----Mensagem original-----
De: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] Em nome de
McKown, John
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 27 de abril de 2011 15:14
Para: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Assunto: using SMS compression - how to manage

We are replacing BMC's Data Accelerator compression with SMS compression. I
have a DATACLAS (named DCEXTC) created which implements this. The DATACLAS
works. At present, Data Accelerator works by having a list of dataset names and
patterns which are used to determine if (and how) a dataset is to be
compressed. The only way that I have found to duplicate this is by using a
FILTLIST (actually a number of them) to list the DSNs and patterns to be
assigned the DCEXTC DATACLAS. I consider this to be very clumsy and difficult
to maintain. Is there an easier way which does not require that the individual
DEFINE desks specify the DCEXTC data class? I cannot depend on the programmers
to do this correctly. And they would rise up in arms if I tried, anyway. Also,
trying to use the &MAXSIZE is likely to be a failure due to the way that our
previous storage person set up SMS. Every dataclas has a DVC count of 59. And
the storage admin, under pressure from the programming management, just!
  gave the programmers some vague sizing guidelines. Basically, the DVC count
is used the way that StopX37 was used in the past. To make sizing datasets
unnecessary. After all, they don't need to size their files on Windows or UNIX,
so why do they need to on z/OS? Just more proof that z/OS is obsolete. OOPS,
I'm whining again.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

AVISO LEGAL <br>...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s)
a quem é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já fica
notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar ou, de
qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem, por ser ilegal.
Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano, pedimos que nos retorne este
E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de
dados, registros ou sistema de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade
a mensagem que contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha
poderes de representação.
LEGAL ADVICE<br>...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom
it is directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional information.
If you are not addressee of this message, since now you are advised to not
release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use the information contained
in this message, because it is illegal. If you received this message by
mistake, we ask you to return this email, making possible, as soon as possible,
the elimination of its contents of your database, registrations or controls
system. The message that bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has
no representation powers, shall be null or void.