>From z/OS V1R9.0 DFSMS Storage Administration Reference:

"For a VSAM data set definition, the &SIZE and &MAXSIZE read-only variables
reflect the space value specified in the CLUSTER component. If one is not
specified in the CLUSTER component, then the space value specified in the DATA
component is used. If a space value also is specified for the INDEX component
and it is of the same type of space unit; for example, both are in tracks,
cylinders, KB or MB, it is added to what was specified for the DATA component."

DVC doesn't seem to enter into it.  (unless it's changed since 1.9....)

You're right about CICS not supporting extended format ESDS, at least at one
time - a newer release may have lifted that restriction.

Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Co.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List On Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:06 PM

Extended is the default for all non-ESDS VSAM files. I can't remember what it
was, but we had some problem with ESDS files with Extended Addressing (perhaps
in CICS). I may try to reduce the number of files in the FILTLIST. I was trying
to duplicate the current compression environment, but that is likely overkill.
Of course, if a file expands "for no reason", people will complain. And the
DASD allocation report will show a sudden spike. Which will cause "weeping and
wailing and gnashing of teeth" in management.