Mike

A small risk of initiating a tangential discussion here which ideally would
require
a new - but linked - thread. We'll see.

>>  Racking my brains for other such devices, ...

was not intended to refer to typewriters but rather SNA devices requiring the
use of the Unformatted System Services function which were not 3270
displays.

However, I can use your response in order to (a) make a small but important
correction, (b) take a trip down memory lane and (c) sneak in a comment on a
contradiction!

a. " ... the three data elements needed for the SSCP (VTAM) to initiate a
session." is incorrect. There is only one element *needed*, the primary
LU, "application", name. The other two, the mode table entry name, mode
name, and the "logon data", are optional. So I should have said "... the three
data elements available, the application name being required, for the SSCP
(VTAM) to initiate a session."

b. I used such a device for its intended purpose around the mid-70s as a "life-
line" from the Moscow office to the Vienna office. There may have been an
instruction manual in some language or other originally but it had been lost so
I remember working out as much as I could about how it worked and getting
something written down for my bunch of colleagues and frequent visitors.

c. Although the "k" in "kuleuven" stands for "katholieke", it is "catholic"
only in
the religious sense. The university in Leuven - which, risking the ire of those
of the Flemish persuasion, I expect I need to explain will probably be known as
Louvain to most of the list readers - has a counterpart in a very new town set
up not too far away - but crucially on Walloon (French-speaking) territory -
called Louvain-la-Neuve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louvain-la-Neuve

Well, if it works for an university and a city, why not for the whole country?

Chris Mason

On Wed, 4 May 2011 14:01:04 -0500, Mike Schwab
<mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I know we were using these
>http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/museum/varian/teletype-E.html
>teletypes well into the 1990s.  By 1984 they were being used as
>printers only attached to a modem, 16*64 green screen, and keyboard
>unit.
>
>On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Chris Mason <chrisma...@belgacom.net>
wrote:
>> Scott
>>
>>> ... the SNA 3270 days to be exact.
>>
>> Well, not quite as exact as it might be. SNA devices supporting human end
>> users - as opposed to SNA devices supporting programs - needed some
>> technique for composing the three data elements needed for the SSCP
>> (VTAM) to initiate a session. This applies to all such devices not just 3270
>> display devices. Some of us still recall a typewriter device, the 3767.
Racking