AMEN!!!!

From: "Joel C. Ewing" <jcew...@acm.org>
Sender: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 11:46:32
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Subject: Re: USS vs USS

Good Lord, enough already.  Those of you who refuse to let this topic
die the death it deserves need to wake up and realize how silly and
petty this this over-extended discussion seems to the rest of us.  If
you have posted more than once on this topic, you are part of the
problem.  Once you have stated your position, just because someone
doesn't embrace your position doesn't require you to respond.  If your
original argument has merit, it persists in the archives and doesn't
need repeating.  Move on to something else of practical use to others,
and get a life.

This discussion is so like an argument where failure to immediately win
the argument elicits many modified re-statements of the original
position in the delusion that if we only "understood" your position
better we would all agree.  Believe me, we all understood both sides of
this argument clearly after the first days:  (1)USS shouldn't be used
for Unix System Services because of conflicting usage and lack of
"official" sanction, versus (2)it has been (and will continue to be)
used by some for that meaning in contexts where it proves useful.  Don't
seek to irritate everyone by re-arguing the same points day after day,
after day, ...!!

Human communication has always been, and always will be, imperfect and
partially ambiguous.  Language is dynamic, not static.  That which
efficiently communicates in some context will get used whether
officially sanctioned or not. Language evolves.  History abounds with
examples where the language "misuse" of yesterday evolved into the
"accepted practice" of today, and that process continues.  That is
simply part of being human.  Live with it!
    Joel C Ewing

Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jcew...@acm.org
                Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org