Also is not fiber preferred over copper for secure applications because it
does not act as an antenna?

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Ed Gould
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: We list every company in the world that has a mainframe
computer

Anne,

Funny you mentioned that. He was part of the team that looked through the
watergate email (profs) and he was also involved in trying to get data from
some of the drives. He didn't go into a lot of detail but there was some
effort to try and recover overwritten data. I also did not press him for
details.

One thing he did tell me was that the  White House was using fiber optics
for channels. That was decade before IBM made it GA. Something about not
having large cables between rooms so if a bomb hit nothing could be leaked
between rooms.