At 09:01 -0500 on 07/22/2011, Eric Bielefeld wrote about Re: running Assembler I/O macro code as AMODE 31, RMODE ANY:

OK - I'll bite. What is thiotimoline? I saw it earlier and just ignored it, but now I'm curious.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline. Basically Science Fiction Author Isaac Asimov was getting ready to write his Doctoral Thesis and was worried that all of his writing of SciFi stories would impact his ability to use the correct Thesis style for his actual Thesis. So he wrote (and published) a story in the required style to practice. As an anecdote when he actually took his orals the examiners signalled him that he passed by making their last question a request for a comment on thiotimoline (something that would not be proper if they would going to fail him).

As to your question, it is a fictional substance that dissolves in water. The special property is that it dissolves up to a second or so BEFORE the water is added. The paper covers this property and explains it as well as what happens if after seeing it dissolve the water is not added. He went on to write additional stories/papers on this substance (details in the Wikipedia article above).