At 02:33 -0400 on 07/24/2011, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote about Re: running Assembler I/O macro code as AMODE 31, RMODE ANY:

 >The description above was part of a hoax

Wiki refers to it as a hoax, but I don't see it as any more of a hoax
than the famous sign offering access to the egress. In fact, the DHMO
site does not match wiki's own definition[1] of hoax

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoax>

Note that I stated "Part of a Hoax" not that it was in-and-of-itself a hoax. The description while worded to give a desired impression had all of the stated facts being accurately made. Thus it is not itself necessary a hoax. It was the use of the description (and misleading descriptions of the effects and usage) to convince people to sign petitions to ban its use that makes it part of a hoax (ie: The petition being the hoax). If the common name of DHMO was used in lieu of DHMO in the descriptions it would be just as accurate but the impression given by the statement of facts would be different (IOW: The deliberate use of DHMO in lieu of the common name for the substance makes listing into hoax - not due to the stated facts but due to the way they are presented by using DHMO to disguise the identity of the substance).