On 8/1/2011 10:27 AM, Ward, Mike S wrote:
Gerhard, I'm sorry for laughing at your post, but it struck me as funny.
Did you really mean to say masticate?

Yes, that's how I remembered it. Unfortunately others don't. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Pepper

Part of American political lore is the Smathers "redneck speech," which Smathers reportedly delivered to a poorly educated audience. The "speech" was never given; it was a hoax dreamed up by one reporter. Smathers did not say, as was reported in Time Magazine during the campaign:

Are you aware that Claude Pepper is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to practice nepotism with his sister-in-law, he has a brother who is a known homo sapiens,[7] and he has a sister who was once a thespian in wicked New York. Worst of all, it is an established fact that Mr. Pepper, before his marriage, habitually practiced celibacy.[8]

The Smathers campaign denied his having made the speech, as did the reporters who covered his campaign, but the hoax followed Smathers to his death.[9]

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT