> As far as I know, TCBFX and TCBNOIRB both serve the same function:
> When either is on, the queuing of IRBs to the task is deferred. Both
> of the APARs you suggested, discuss problems when such deferrals are
> not managed properly.
>
> What I want to know is, why the redundancy? Why are there two flags
> that serve the same purpose? There must be subtle differences...
> What are they?

  I found a comment in an OCO module which says:

Note that TcbNoIRB was defined in addition to TCBFX, because
TCBFX is sometimes not saved and restored by the programs
that set it, e.g. RTM.

  I also looked at all of the modules which take an action
when TCBFX is on.

  IEAVAR04 and  IEAVEEE0 check for TCBFX or TCBNOIRB
being on (and these are the ones that you would care about).

  IEAVEIRB, IEFAB429, and ISNSVC  check only TCBFX.
Those may be bugs, will have to investigate further.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY